Child Access

Child Access Image, family lawyer - Parents with your child in the beach

Child Access

Child Access means that one parent has sole custody, and the other parent has the right to access the child.

Access refers to the non-custodial parent’s right to spend time with the child and make inquiries about the child’s health, education, and well-being. However, access does not give the access parent the right to make significant decisions about the child’s welfare.

The types of access include:

Reasonable Access

With reasonable access, the parents can discuss how child access (including schedule, etc.) will be arranged.

Supervised Access or No Access

Supervised access is where the access parent cannot be alone with the child during the visit. The supervising parties can be a family member or other trusted third parties. Supervised access centers can also facilitate and monitor access to parent visits. The Court may order supervised visits when there is a safety concern with the access parent or if the child has not spent much time with the access parent before.

The Court may not grant any access if the Court determines that the access parent might harm the child, and supervised access will not provide sufficient protection.

Fixed / Limited Access

Fixed or limited access is where the Court sets the dates, times, and duration of the child access visits. In this arrangement, the parents don’t have to communicate with each other regarding child access directly.

Graduated Access

The Court may order a graduated access schedule, which gives limited access initially but gradually allows for more access over time. This arrangement allows the child access to get familiarized and build trust with the access parent if they had not spent much time with the access parent before or if the child separated from the access parent at a young age.

At Juzkiw law, we have a dedicated team to help you with child access and child dispute. Call or family lawyer for a free consultation for more details – 416-221-2221

Let us help you!

Free Consultation

Area of laws