Impaired Driving (DUI)
Impaired driving (driving under the influence – DUI) means the driver who has exceeded the Blood Alcohol / Drugs Legal Limit. A driver discovered by drugs or alcohol is subject to criminal charges under the Canadian Penal Code and can have severe consequences.
When is the best time to hire a Defence Lawyer in these situations?
If you have been charged with impaired driving, you should seek a lawyer as soon as possible. A good defence lawyer will be able to provide legal advice appropriate to your situation. By doing this, you can avoid the following consequences:
- Suspension of driving license, preventing you from driving for a minimum period of 1 year up to 3 years
- Lifestyle change – you can face a significant difference in your life if you can no longer drive
- Job loss – some people need to drive in their job, so the driver’s license will result in job loss.
- You may have to pay fines ranging from $ 1,000 to $ 1500
- When convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol in Ontario, you will need to complete a $ 578 license reinstatement program
- When you are convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol in Ontario, you will need to install an ignition interlock device in your car. You will only be able to use the vehicle if the tool says that you can drive and is not under the influence of alcohol
- Depending on the situation, you may have to retake the license certification test.
- Having the insurance policy canceled or even receiving a lawsuit from the insurer
If you or someone you know has been charged with Impaired Driving (DUI), contact our experienced and Trusted Defence Lawyer – we can help you. Call us today at 416-221-2221